Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hollywood Glam Prom Dress 2011 - in the home stretch

I got on a roll after dinner last night and sewed until ... late.  Then I woke up early knowing exactly how to sew the remaining seams.  I love it when I work out solutions in my sleep.  
I present to you the bodice:
photo edited to show detail on the black fabric
 And I snapped this next picture (below) over the weekend as I was beginning the dress.  It amused me that I didn't know yet whether this was a photo of a successful technique or not.  I held off on posting until I knew whether it worked.  It did.  (oh, yay!!)

Each seam was a multi-step process.   I sewed it flat first using a long basting stitch on the sewing machine.  Then I shirred by hand-sewing a running stitch and gathering to the correct length.  Next came the application of narrow twill tape.  After hand-basting the twill tape to the seam, I serged so that the twill tape was caught in the seam allowances.  This has worked well to control the extreme stretchiness of the spandex.

The remaining work will be finished easily after work tonight.  I will shirr the side seams and stabilize, attach the dress to the lining at the neckline edge and serge a rolled hem.
I can hand it to her after her performance tomorrow night.

The prom is not for another week or two, but I have plans this weekend so the dress had to be finished.  I will get photos eventually, I promise.  I am dying to see it, too.  And I am pretty sure she will not style it as a straight-forward Hollywood Glam look.  She is a drama major, after all.

On a side note, she moves to Manhattan in the fall where she will study acting at a very selective conservatory.  It is her dream, and we are very proud of her.  It takes talent, yes, but it is her tremendous effort and sacrifice that impresses me so much.  Go, Maggie!

I think it is funny that I never sew late into the night for my own projects.  Ha!  I do love my sleep.
Happy Sewing!

25 comments:

  1. Robin, this dress is looking soooo beautiful. It's amazing how fast you turned a sketch into an actual dress! I love the ruching!!! I agree, some of the best ideas come after a good night's rest:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is going to be one snazzy dress! You are doing such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is stunning and I can't wait to see pictures. She sounds like an amazing young woman, good luck to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is working out so beautifully. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, it's looking so great! Can't wait to see the final dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see pictures of her wearing the dress! I hope she is willing to model for us all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin,

    I absolutely love your dress; and are amazed at the fine detail you are putting in it.

    On another matter, I used your message board thread re: Bernina 9mm or 5mm - I had the same questions because I'm a garment sewing I bought a highly reduced Bernina 430. Hope you're loving your 440.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great idea with the twill tape. As I was reading it I was thinking "of course that is how you would do it! It seems so obvious once you read it" I am excited for the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is looking beautiful! I love all the shirred seams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lookin' good, Robin! Love following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is really coming together nicely. I can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished product. ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey this prom dress is really beautifull, every girl should wanted to wear this prom dress on their prom night..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Glam! You've got a great idea there to stabilize those side; it works with the fabric rather than against it, to let it stretch in the panels, but not "grow" at the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is going to look very glamorous and elegant. I hope that you can get some good picture to post. I love that you were able to make this from your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So admiring you for this dress. Hope with the others that we will see her showing it. The top with the gathering is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BEAUTIFUL! I am loving this dress so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo